Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Summer TV 2016

I'm still recovering from Game of Thrones and Orange is the New Black. Those were both really intense seasons and finales. And now we have to wait almost a year to have them back with new episodes. That being said, there's actually a lot of shows this summer that I'm really excited about.

Image via MTV

Scream (Season 2) - Premiered on May 31
New Episodes: Tuesday Nights at 10/9c on MTV

I prefer TV shows to movies because they can handle so many more twists and turns. Scream is such a great example of this. The Scream movies were absolutely perfect, and they are still some of my favorite movies today. I was a bit skeptical that they were going to try to make it into a TV show, but it's actually a great homage to the work that Wes Craven put into the movies. It's still witty, bloody, and self-aware. Plus, it could introduce a younger audience to the movies who haven't seen them yet.


Image via Freeform

Guilt (Season 1) - Premiered on June 13
New Episodes: Monday Nights at 9/8c on Freeform

This is the first season of Guilt, and as a major Buffy fan, I was immediately interested when I heard that Whedon alum Tony Head would be appearing in this series alongside his daughter, Daisy Head. The premise of Guilt is fictional, but it is loosely based on the Amanda Knox trial.  An American girl (played by Daisy Head) is studying abroad when one of her roommates is murdered.  She's one of the suspects; however, at this point, almost everyone looks like a suspect. I know shows can sometimes drag on with the mystery, but Guilt has promised to reveal the killer by the end of the season.


Image via Freeform

Pretty Little Liars (Season 7) - Premiered on June 21
New Episodes: Tuesday Nights at 8/7c on Freeform

I don't know what to say about Pretty Little Liars that hasn't already been said. It's about attractive, petite, dishonest women. And men. It's all in the title. There's speculation that this is the final season for the show, and I can only hope it's wrapped up into a neat little bow at the end. Regardless, it's been a really fun ride, and I'm excited to see how it all plays out.


Image via Freeform

Dead of Summer (Season 1) - Premiered on June 28
New Episodes: Tuesday Nights at 9/8 c on Freeform

Dead of Summer is the newest show by Once Upon a Time (OUAT) creators Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis. OUAT is one of my favorite shows on television right now, so I couldn't wait to check this one out. The show, described as a horror/mystery story, takes place at a summer camp in the 80s.  I wasn't sure how much "horror" one could fit into a show on Freeform, but when the first face I saw was Tony Todd's (Candyman), I knew I was in for something good. Only one episode has premiered so far, but the show has great potential.

I realize that most of these shows are on Tuesday nights and most of them are on Freeform. My DVR is going to be busy this summer.

Happy watching! xx

No comments :

Post a Comment